Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Good food in Auckland - Tony's Lord Nelson Restaurant

If you are visiting Auckland, New Zealand, consider popping by Tony's Lord Nelson Restaurant for a meal or two. It's located along Victoria Street near the junction with Queen Street, barely a 5 mins walk from Crowne Plaza hotel where I'm putting up.

The restaurant occupies both levels of the shophouse and has an old traditional English interior; reminds me of an Irish pub. Although the seating arrangement is rather packed, you get lots of privacy due to the tall partitions between tables.

The menu offers quite a good spread for a steakhouse; It has poultry, lamb, venison, seafood and of course the usual gourmet beef. The advertorial out front (and even in the menu) proudly proclaims that it serves the best steak in the city so I just had to try it for myself. I ordered the Caper Steak which is a fillet with rich caper and blue cheese sauce. Yeah, cheese on beef. I wasn't entirely sure it was for me but well, there's a first time for everything.

It turned out fantastic and was extremely enjoyable when paired with the Hawke's Bay Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot. The beef came in a thick cut and was very juicy and tender. The serving of the sauce was generous and although the flavor of the cheese was clearly evident, it didn't destroy the taste of the underlying beef. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I ordered the salad and potato for the sides. The salad was nothing to shout about but the potato was rather unique. I was expecting the usual baked potato with sour cream and bacon bits but was served a rather strange looking golden crusted "egg". Upon closer inspection, the "egg" turned out to be mashed potato molded in the shape of an egg and crusted with breadcrumb. Might I add that it tasted as good as it looked too.

In terms of pricing, the caper steak was NZ$30 which I find a tad pricey for the portion served. The great taste however more than make up for it. I will definitely drop by again the next time I am in Auckland!



Tony's Lord Nelson Restaurant
37 Victoria Street
Auckland, New Zealand
Tel: (09) 379 4564

Business hours:
Lunch - Monday to Friday 12pm - 2:30pm
Dinner - Everday 5pm - 10pm

No comments: