Thursday, March 6, 2008

Successor to my Dopod 838 pro....

I'm in the market for a new PDA phone now that my Dopod 838 pro has passed its warranty period. (Yeah, that's a lame excuse for an upgrade but hey, I'm a sucker for gadgets...)
HTC Tytn III was initially looking at getting the replacement model from Dopod, which is the HTC Tytn II. Same form factor and pretty much identical to the 838 pro except with built in GPS, better spec'ed Camera and twice the memory (both RAM and ROM).imate Ultimate 9502Then I saw the imate Ultimate 9502 which is directly competing with the Tytn II in terms of looks, specs and features. The key difference is the VGA resolution screen and XGA video output. It also spots a LED flash for the 3MP auto-focus camera but in general, I still think that PDA phone cameras are fit for casual shots only and definitely not good enough for taking vacation pictures.Sony Ericsson Xperia X1But lately, I found this; the XPERIA X1 from Sony Ericsson. This is the first Windows Mobile phone from Sony Ericsson and it promises not just the usual features we have come to expect from a high-end PDA phone (such as Quad-band, 3G, GPS, WiFi, QWERTY keyboard, VGA display), it also spots an executive look that is a cut above the rest. In terms of user interface, it touts a HTC Touch like interface called XPERIA Panels which looks pretty darn good in the video introduction.

In terms of availability, the X1 is currently still in pre-production and no official launch has been announced (press release says "later this year" which is as good as saying "we don't know when").

Oh well, I believe I can wait since my trusty Dopod is still going strong and I probably need a year-long savings plan just to afford the bugger!

No comments: