Thursday, April 16, 2009

How much does it cost to run a HomePlugAV network?

This question popped into my head today when I was contemplating leaving my HomePlugs on 24/7 instead of having to run around the house turning them on/off as required. So here's what I figured out:
  • Power consumption of the Aztech HomePlugAV HL109E is 4.5W (based on paper specs)
  • Running it all month will give consume 3.285kWh (4.5W x 730hr /1000)
  • At the current electricity price of $0.1803/kWh, monthly electricity bill will increase by $0.59
  • Over the course of a year, I will need to spend $7 to maintain 1 point.
  • Assuming I have 6 points in my house, that will be $42 a year!
Not cheap but still quite affordable considering that we are talking about six devices that are always on.

However, compare this with a 8 port LAN switch such as the Netgear GS108 whose paper specs say a maximum power consumption of 4.92W which works out to be just $7.70 a year for eight devices!

Hmm.. Looks like I will still be insisting that a wired Ethernet network infrastructure be one of the key requirements in my next house!

3 comments:

Lo Sheng said...

After a whole mess of renovation, I've learnt that there's very little that cannot be done. So, the good news is that you don't have to wait till your next house to install wired internet. There's nothing some hacking and plastering won't get the job done. It's actually easier than you think!

Lo Sheng said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sidney said...

Its probably a good idea to add this item in during a massive AA/reno job. However, when you are on limited budget and your house spans four levels, it can get pretty challenging.

During my reno before I moved in a year or so ago, this item was top priority. However, after my contractor assessed the situation, came back with a really huge price tag apparently because there is no electrical riser (duh! have you seen one in a residential home??) in the house and wiring through the levels will be a massive job unless I can live with cabling all over the stairway. (And apparently I cannot embed those in the walls because they are foundations).

Anyway, you can read more about my troubles here, here and here.