Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Cleanboot finally working on my DNS-323!

If you are running fun_plug on your DNS-323, you may notice that your partitions are no longer unmounted properly at shutdown or reboot. You have this problem if you start seeing this line in your dmesg output:

EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended

The solution to this problem is a utility called cleanboot. Unfortunately, since the first version, it has not worked for me and quite alot of other folks; instead of cleanly unmounting the partitions before shutting down or rebooting, it hangs the box. Bummer...

The good news is that a fellow forumer SilentException persisted and managed to fixed the utility for his box (forum post here). I just tried it and it works on mine too! Hooray! You may want to give it a shot and see if it works for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just tried it too. But I found that while I can reboot cleanly either from the web admin interface or through telnet, I still can't shutdown cleanly! Arrrghgh! If I use the admin interface's shutdown button or the front panel button to shutdown, I still get the EXT2-fs warnings.